1. My hair colour has changed dramatically over the years – I’ve been dyeing it since I was fourteen. It’s been fire-engine red; a deep but bright hot pink (my favourite); black; bleached to a startling white and streaked with blue. Last year I finally stopped. Now it’s grey.
2. I do a mean impression of the Mother Superior from the Sound of Music. My ‘Climb Every Mountain’ is legendary and full of nun-like warbles and crescendos.
3. Though I love music, complete silence is often better.
4. I once asked art critic Robert Hughes at a
5. I’m obsessed with birds, crows in particular. Drawing them, collecting them, dreaming about them. The bigger and blacker they are, the more I love them. My heart leaps when I hear the magpies calling out to one another. Here’s a couple of big charcoal drawings from a year or two ago - one at the top, another below.
7. I catch myself talking to the dog. A lot.
By the way, you should read Stephanie’s mammoth 100th post – she’s running a competition to celebrate with a wonderful prize, though you only have until the 20th of May to enter. Better get cracking.